Lots of folks talk about preventing the flu with shots and things but no one talks what you can do if you decide not to get the shot. Here is a few things that will work, you just have to put them into motion. And Hey! it’s not the end of the world, so get your minds onto positive thinking and enjoy life. Take A Look.
1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).
2. “Hands-off-the-face” approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat or bathe). This one should be repeated as it is very important. My young ones are now over 20 some years of age and you will never see them touching their face with their hands. Make it a habit.
3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don’t trust salt). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don’t underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.
4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. *Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but *blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.* Myself I just warm up a cup of water, put in a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of baking soda. Then just hold my nose in the cup holding one side shut and sniff up just enough so as I feel it in the back of my throat. Simple as that.
5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.
6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.